New Lawn Water Restrictions in Sarasota and Manatee Counties
March 7, 2022
< Back to Blog
Often, we are asked what the restrictions on watering new lawns in Sarasota County are. This is from the Sarasota County website:
- Watering may occur on the first day of installation any time of any day of the week.
- After the first day, new lawns may be irrigated any day for another 29 days, before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
- On days 31 through 60, new lawns may be irrigated up to three times a week, before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
In Manatee County it is a little more complicated:
- On days 1-30, beginning on the day of installation, new lawns and plants may be watered any day of the week, before 10 a.m. or after 4 p.m.
- On days 31-60, new lawns and plants may be watered as follows: Even-numbered addresses may only water on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Odd-numbered addresses may only water on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Common areas, mixed even/odd addresses, and location with no address may water on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday. Call the County Extension Office (941) 722-4524 to receive additional information on plant establishment periods.
NOTE: All new plant material (new or replacement sod or new plants/shrubs) must cover at least 50% of an irrigation zone in order to water with an in-ground sprinkler system during the establishment period. If not, the new plant material must be hand watered following the same time of day and day of week restrictions for new plant establishment. (Example: If you purchased one flat of grass plugs to place throughout your front yard to fill in bare spots, this would not cover 50% or an irrigation zone. Hand watering would be required.)